The centre of Goathland village has a variety of shops, cafes & tea rooms and a Post Office.
There are three hotels in the village (Goathland Hotel, Inn on the Moor, and Mallyan Spout Hotel, which provide accommodation, and serve daytime and evening meals. There are also a number of smaller hotels and guest houses in the village. Please See the accommodation section for a comprehensive list.
Until April 2009 filming took place on location at Goathland, at the YTV studios in Leeds, and at a number of locations situated near to the studios. Goathland Station was transformed into Aidensfield for railway sequences.
The Goathland Hotel was used for external filming as the Aidensfield Arms, though interior shots were latterly usually filmed in a reproduction set in the studios at Leeds.
Whilst not featuring in later episodes storylines, the character Claude Greengrass (played by Bill Maynard) was extremely popular. The farm used as the character’s home is Brow House Farm, located on the west side of the road leaving the village in the direction of Pickering (about ¼ mile from the Church).
Goathland Garage was used as Bernie Scripps’ Garage and Funeral Parlour.
St. Mary’s Church is situated at the far end of the village. It was built in 1875, replacing an earlier structure built in 1821.
The original route of the Railway from Grosmont was through the Horse Tunnel (now the foot access to the NYMR Locomotive Depot. South of the Depot it ran to the west of Esk Valley Cottages to Beckhole, and then climbed the valley via a rope worked incline to Goathland, crossing the main road through the village alongside the Goathland Hotel and Garage, and thence to Moorgates. In 1865 a deviation route, allowing locomotive haulage throughout, was constructed, and the present station (originally Goathland Mill) opened (see the “Brief History” section of the site). The course of the original route survives, and the section between Beckhole Road in Goathland and Grosmont is now a public footpath, designated as the Rail Trail. Access to it is by going past the Goathland Hotel, and turning right onto Beckhole Road at the road junction alongside the Public Car Park. After the Car Park, before the first house on the left hand side, a wicket gate can be found, which is the start of the Rail Trail. Normal walking time to Grosmont is in the region of an hour. A booklet describing the Rail Trail is normally on sale at the Station Shop.
i). Malyan Spout.
The most well known of the waterfalls around Goathland, the Malyan Spout is accessed by a footpath starting on the west side of the Mallyan Hotel. The footpath is steep and has large numbers of steps, and is not suitable for people with accessibility difficulties. In addition, the last hundred yards of the route to the waterfall involves “scrambling” over large stones which tend to be wet and slippery. Another footpath (with similar accessibility issues) leads from near the waterfall to Beckhole.
ii). Water Ark. Access from a footpath off Beckhole Road (after the cross roads - Darnholm Road). A path goes under the Railway at Water Ark Bridge.
iii). Thomason Foss. Access from Beckhole alongside the beck on opposite side of bridge at the Birch Hall Inn. The path was blocked by a landslip in 2008.
A popular picnic spot by the Railway and the Ellerbeck. It can be accessed by road via Beckhole Road and turning right at the crossroads onto Darnholm Road, and crossing the Railway by Darnholm Bridge. There is very limited parking. Darnholmcan be accessed on foot from the station by going through the gate to the moors by the Foot Crossing, and following the fence/stone wall northwards.
A small hamlet a mile south of Goathland. Can be accessed by either following the Rail Trail, or Beckhole Road. The small unspoilt Birch Hall Inn is very popular with walkers. Home made pies and sandwiches made with home made bread (Beckhole Butties) available. Beckhole was, at one time, a hive of industrial activity, with an Ironworks in the 1860s.
Above Darnholm are located disused opencast mine workings and a drift mine, which extracted whinstone ore, which was mainly used for road building. The ore was transported by a narrow gauge tramway to the south east corner of the station site, where a crushing plant was located on the bank side. Tubs were originally horse hauled, but in latter days a car was used. Most of the trackbed is still easily followed, though the final section to the drift mine has almost been lost to nature.